UFC: A Year In The Life, Volume 1 - The new UFC photo book, on s

Most useless MA?
Events this month | UFighting Home | Login

Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3  ... >> last 

By: LiesOfSociety (223)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 12:39 PM

Karate or Tai Kwon Do or something else? I say karate. No one has ever used it in the UFC or Pride or KOTC or Vale Tudo.

Which art do you think is the most useless? Please compare them in their true forms, not in their McDojo-distilled forms.

By: Free_Style (1051)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 12:53 PM

i beg to freakin differ.

chuck liddell's base art is karate

did you not see that gorgous reverse punch he nailed white with and the round kick he caught tito with.

sure he has a quality wrestling skills and he has cross trained in ju jistu but his striking is all built around his karate.

I'm not saying it's the greatest or most effective martial art, but it's not useless.

--
---------------------------------------

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:04 PM

"did you not see that gorgous reverse punch he nailed white with and the round kick he caught tito with."

You mean Vernon "Tai Kwon Do" White? No I didn't see that. I saw him get out-boxed by Couture though, a wrestler with BASIC boxing ability. Karate is a joke.

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:18 PM

no style is 100% of everything. Good boxing skills can certainly take out a good karate guy. I'm not saying that it can't be beatin or doesn't have weaknesses. I'm saying that it has advantanges and strengths though as well. I think anyone would say that chuck is one of the top lhw in the world today and a large part of that is based on his karate base.

boxing is a more effective striking art though if you take one pure karate guy and put them against a pure boxer and assuming all things are created equal usually boxing will win out but thats not to say that karate doesn't have it's strengths.

--

By: yuushi (8820)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:23 PM

Yeah, Karate sucks. Didn't it suck when Yuki Kondo, black belt in Karate, KO'd BJJ black belt Mario "The Zen Machine" Sperry? Or when Georges St Pierre, black belt in Karate, TKO'd Jay Hieron. Soooo . . .

I'm getting a lot of mileage off that pic, aren't?

--

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:24 PM

I? even lol

yes you are.

but i think each use has been justified..........

--

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:28 PM

LOL! Yes, it is to say it doesn't have its strengths. It is totally useless. No ground word, no clinch work, nothing, just lameass striking. It sucks!

And yuushi, did Karate suck when Muay Thai badass Wanderlei Silva stomped the life out of your beloved Kondo? Yeah, it did. Karate sucks. It's worse than all of the other striking arts. It is uselsss.

By: Coronado (1052)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:29 PM

TKD blows. It's far worse than karate, imo. Saying "karate sucks" anyway is too general. There's Go Jo Ryu, Shotokan, etc... I'm sure some of them are more effective than others. But I'll leave the pro-karate arguing to Whit, who will undoubtedly have plenty to offer on the subject :)

By: evanr00 (255)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 1:46 PM

It's not the style, it's how you train it. There are effective things in every style. For example my instructor teaches us basic kung fu moves and drills for defending G&P from the bottom of the guard and mount.

--
"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:02 PM

i could see how the softstyle kung fu redirections would be effective from the bottom.

--

By: yuushi (8820)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:07 PM

Lies (I still love the propriety of that nickname): Wow, you put me in my place. You're right, a guy with a black belt in karate giving up 20 lbs and losing to one of the top fighters in the world proves utterly and ultimately that Karate sucks, despite the other examples given otherwise.

And you gotta love the "basic boxing skills" exhibited by Liddell when he KO'd Babalu Sobral with a high kick . . .

--

By: JONHESS (990)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:13 PM

By: JONHESS (990)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:27 PM

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:29 PM

that may be. I learned a long time ago not to take victory for granted. I have beaten 300 pounders before.

I think you are a punk to the core of who you are.

you spend your time saying shit like on an internet forum. it's halarious and imature and foolish. I hope they stick you in there with Mir or Fedor someday.......

--

By: goat314 (1162)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:31 PM

Jeff Newton in KOTC is Karate, hence "Karate Guy"

He's a heck of a fighter, fun to watch

--
Brain:Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky:I think so, Brain, but if you replace the 'P' with an 'O' my name would be Oinky, wouldn't it?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I'll break yours."
-tuffy

By: fedorfan (6832)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:33 PM

LOL

Safta

--
"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep." -Lucian Staniak

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 2:50 PM

LOL! Sorry "tuffy," but Hess would put you in coma.

By: Lokisgift (3330)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 3:06 PM

The Macedonian buttock is the most useless, or maybe the dealy art of Joe Son Do.

By: fedorfan (6832)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 3:17 PM

The forum was pretty quiet for awhile.Have to give it to Jon Hess for stirring things up.

--
"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep." -Lucian Staniak

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 3:24 PM

thats true

--

By: tattedup (1064)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 4:18 PM

Dont you guys hate it when the new guys post up on topics that have already been covered half a dozen times.

--
I can't wait for violence - Nothingface

By: britt (6176)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 5:31 PM

Nice to see yah around tat and i dont think you'll be fighting with Hess any more tuffy as i think he is banned because all his post are now blank.

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 6:13 PM

which kicks ass

--

By: coutureisthebest (18138)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 6:27 PM

Tuffy, you are still my hero. Something I've been noticing, and I want everyone else's opinion, too. Does it seem to anyone else that it may be possible that Lies is Hess posting under a different name? I realize they've both been posting at the same times, but it seems that Lies is the ONLY fan of Jon Hess. Just a thought...

--
"If at first you don't succeed, tap out and ask for a rematch!" - Kevbo, 2004

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 6:33 PM

i think so.

--

On: Sep 3, 2004 | 7:08 PM

Read this thread: http://www.ufighting.com/forum/displaymessage.php?Thread_ID=3596&fid=1&Last_Update=2004-09-03%2018:02:27

By: MikeyA72 (533)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 9:19 PM

Tate,
Whats up man? Hope that injury cleared up. Nice to see you pop in every now and then.

--
"The Peoples Champ"- coming soon...

By: whitfield (24462)
On: Sep 3, 2004 | 9:54 PM

wow what a surprise, lies has started more threads

--
Jacob Whitfield
Triangle Jiu-Jitsu Academy
Goldsboro, NC
www.trianglejj.com
www.myspace.com/trianglejiujitsuacademy

By: tattedup (1064)
On: Sep 4, 2004 | 12:50 AM

Why would anyone want to be a Hessnuthugger, I respect anyon who fights, but damn, 1-1 is not a record to start a fan club over.

--
I can't wait for violence - Nothingface

By: wingchunlittledragon (1405)
On: Sep 4, 2004 | 12:53 AM

no shit!

Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3  ... >> last 

You must login to post a response.

Learn to fight from UFC Champs